Monday, March 3, 2014

None of My Business

Last week, we thought about what makes us authentic. Your comments were amazing and you spoke beyond your years!

Ironically,  I heard an interesting quote that sort of tag-teams onto last weeks blog question. Dr. Wayne Dyer, an internationally known author and motivational speaker said, What other people think of me is none of my business.I couldn't help but wonder what tomorrow might look like if I didn’t care about what other people thought about me today.  How would I feel?  Although the quote is thought provoking,  living it can be a different story.  We DO care about what other people think of us.  But we cannot control other people’s opinions, judgments or ideas.  So imagine what your life would look like if you didn’t care about other people's opinions.  What would you do differently?



2 comments:

Zach Appelo said...

I would probably dress differently, have a much different demeanor and would be totally different. I'm not much of a philosophy student, but I think that other people's opinions are important in shaping someone into a responsible adult, to some degree at least. For instance right now, i'm not self conscious, and that probably has to do with conforming in the past. By no means am I a perfect human being, or even close to being a good example of one, but at the same time, if I did not have the 'constrictions' so to speak of opinions, I would be totally different person all together. I might be running aloud yelling gibberish, drop kicking people. I think to some degree self consciousness is a good thing. Look at it this way, when I see someone older than me acting more mature than I am, I am self conscious of my immaturity. So, I will try to become more mature like that older person. In the same way, the older person that I look up to probably did the same thing as me, and the person older than him etc.. So basically, I think the right amount of self consciousness in important in shaping society. Honestly, I think I would be happier if I was self conscious, and then overcame my self consciousness by confronting my vices, then if I was completely void of what others thought of me, and lived like a wild child. Because eventually I would realize my own faults without looking at others, but I might be 85 before I do that, and then I would regret having wasted my life accomplishing nothing to better the world.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Zach,

You never cease to surprise me.

Normally, you answer the blog on Thursday night around midnight, long after the due date.

This weeks blog comment was optional and so the last person I expected to comment was you!

Don't get me wrong... I was delighted to hear from you this week and found your comment insightful.

It sounds like you value others opinions to the degree that it shapes you into becoming a better human being. That's a hard balance to find.

I know people who don't fit in well with others because they literally pride themselves in being different. To me, that goes beyond the constructive self consciousness you mentioned.

Hopefully, we can find just the right amount of each of these things and still say, "I am who I am."

Chrissy