Thursday, May 21, 2009

CARVING OUT A NAME FOR MYSELF

By Chrissy Larson

I'm not sure if I ever explained the whole, "Cyberpsalmist" thing.

When I first took the Blog Writing Course that I so highly recommend, I was advised by my instructor to choose a name other than my own, that described me in some way. This is usually called a pen name or pseudonym. Considering the possibilities, I thought about the many hobbies I enjoy, such as sewing, scrap booking, camping, travel, movies . . . the list goes on and on.

Drawing a blank, I explored the friendly nicknames of my childhood, as well as not-so-nice sticks and stones names I was called. Still, nothing interesting came up.

After allowing a few days to let my mind ramble, I remembered a name that's followed me for quite some time. In my early years as a new christian, I always had a desire to express myself not only verbally, but musically. I would sit before the Lord (and still do) singing my little songs to Him. Some of them were for the moment and others stuck with me. Eventually, I became more involved, developing as a psalmist.

Don Corey Washington best describes a psalmist as "a sculptor who uses air as his medium instead of clay, metal, or stone. Music is his tool instead of a hammer and chisel. He 'sculpts' the air into an 'atmosphere' that directly corresponds to the moving of the Holy Spirit." The training for this is most unusual; there are no books or charts, practice hours are long and go generally into the wee hours of the morning; there is no recital and you play for an audience of One.

If Psalmist describes the "who" part of the name, then "Cyber" describes the "where." I realize that I am not able to convey one single musical note across the Internet, but my prayer is that the thoughts I pen will carry His tune and change the atmosphere of the World Wide Web.

If you had to give yourself a pen name, what would it be and why?


1 comment:

Cyberpsalmist said...

Hello Cyberpsalmist! : D

Right now, I am not sure what my name would be. I have always been intrigued that my name means leader or governor. I also see myself as 80% MOTHER. I had to teach myself not to mother those that I have no authority to mother and I even catch myself mothering my good friends at times. So, in answer to your question, I do not know. The description of psalmist sorta fits me too; though lately I have not been doing much spontaneous singing. : P