Sunday, May 3, 2009

PUT ME TO THE TEST

by Chrissy Larson

I have a love/hate relationship with tests. They certainly serve a purpose, in that the results generally prove something to somebody.

Last week, I had eight vials of my precious blood go to a lab. A technician somewhere examined it, looking for stuff (in other words, I'm not sure what.) Because I am frequently involved in research projects, I may never learn the results, unless they are not good. In my case, no news is good news.

That same week, I had to administer a test or final exam to 14 high school students. Personally, it was less painful than giving blood, but some of them probably would have taken the needle instead. It was my way of testing their knowledge to see if they walked away with what I was pounding home, week after week. Napoleon Dynamite surely would agree with me in saying this class taught them "skills."

Next week, my younger children will have the opportunity to participate in year-end testing. Some folks prepare ahead by having their kids study or brush up with test prep booklets. I, on the other hand, send them in cold turkey, assuming that if they didn't learn it by now, it's too late. (Not to say that preparing is a bad thing; on the contrary.)

My kids asked me why they had to take tests and I think my answer shocked them. I explained the results were not for me, but for them; that their scores would be compared to other children their age on a national scale. I also told them I was NOT concerned about the results; their score did not matter to me as much as it should matter to them.

At that moment, their disposition changed from fear to freedom. I was not the mean taskmaster (looking for a reason to ground them for the entire summer) they thought I was. It was a new feeling for me, as the weight of this responsibility shifted from mine to theirs. This is not to say that I am fully responsible for their education . . . it's just that I want them to own it for themselves.

Jesus wants us to understand this concept too. James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way."(The Message)

There is liberty in facing the truth. When we avoid it, the chains of bondage grip us all the more. I suppose this is why James called testing a gift; he understood Jesus when He said, " And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)

As I begin to fully understand God's motives, I am less likely to cower upon hearing Him call me to His exam room. I've come to learn the benefits and willingly utter, "Go ahead . . . put me to the test."

What do YOU think?

6 comments:

Daniel Brooks said...

My overall experience of academic test taking has been... strange. You see, when I'm doing a major test, my mind either goes into focus mode or melts. For instance, the first time I took the SAT, my writing hand decided to contract Parkinson's during the essay section (it showed too 'cause I got a 5 out of 12 that time). And then whenever I take a test on a subject I know I'm good at, I remember everything. My strangest experience, though, wasn't because of me. I was taking the ACT at JU, and some of the very bright people there thought it was a good time to practice their bagpipes while I was doing the math section. Not fun.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Daniel,

I am interested in finding out how you did on the math portion of that test. We have always heard that Mozart helped the mind to process, but bagpipes? That sounds like a good science fair project idea. Heaven help the mom who lets her kid prove it!

Great to hear from you, by the way. I always enjoy your humor!

Daniel Brooks said...

I got a 28 out of 36 for the math. Just think of what I would have gotten if the Clasical club had been outside instead of the Scottish club. Don't ever let your kids take the ACT by the way. They give you a million questions and zero time to do them.

Mary Dekker said...

Have you heard this song? Your awesome thoughts and then scripture reference reminded me of this song. It has always been one of my favorites. It is the intensity of our response during times of troubles, that: “Yes Lord, bring it on, if it will do its good work in me!” …”Bring it on!”.

Read the words and then follow the copy and paste this link, to hear the song. (If that doesn’t work, Google Steven Curtis Chapman, bring it on. Definitely worth listening to!!!)

http://www.last.fm/music/Steven+Curtis+Chapman/_/Bring+It+On

Love, Mary

amy said...

Taking tests this year felt easier than ever before. I noticed that I tried harder this time to get better scores than having a whatever attitude. I quit thinking that the other kids were born smarter than I was. I started praying before every test. I put my faith and trust in Him. I didn't pray that he would do it for me or pass me when I really didn't put a alot of effort into studying. I would ask the Lord to take all me worries away and help me to remember what I had studied all week.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Wow Amy,

I think that is some of the best test-taking advice I have heard in some time! Like you, I use to put God in the exam seat, expecting Him to do everything. I finally realized it was me who was under the gun. This gives a whole new meaning to the verse, "faith without works is dead."