Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A LUCKY BREAK?

Dear Sweet Friends,

I have good news to report - God is good!

When I went to the hand surgeon and I signed in at the desk, I noticed this hand surgeon graduated from a medical school in my home state of Wisconsin - I had a feeling this was going to be interesting but did not know how.

After having him review my x-rays, he then felt around on my hand (ouch) and explained he had seen success/failure with both setting the bone as well as surgically using pins. He asked me if he could numb my hand and then feel around again so as to make a better assessment. He also said that it looked like it was broke in such a way that did not lead him to believe there was nerve damage or that the joint was or would be affected by his course of treatment.

After numbing the hand (double ouch) he manipulated it into position (triple ouch) and then splinted it. He then x-rayed the hand to view his work, making sure it was in a good position to heal.

During the course of the examination, I found out the surgeon knew my deceased father-in-law's best friend, who we heard stories about on a regular basis. Suddenly our worlds shrunk as we found our connection to one another. We shared a few stories and laughed together.

After the x-rays processed, he determined that the set was a success and said if I would truly behave myself for the next 2 weeks, not lifting a finger with the left hand, it just may work. I vowed to not cook, clean, scrub or fold until he could x-ray it again in 14 days. (Sounds like a vacation to me!) He will then examine it and make a final assessment. If it looks satisfactory to him, I will complete the healing for several more weeks in a splint. If not, pins will be needed. He felt like this method of treatment would not only give me the benefit of the doubt but spare me financially, a miracle I desperately needed. 100% function is the goal and he feels confident we will attain that.

After receiving a 20% discount, my total bill was only $360.00 vs. what could have been a hospital bill of possibly $10,000.00! I am delighted, to say the least and rejoice in what God has done. He never ceases to amaze me . . . showing up and then showing out. This is just 'part 1' of the testimony as He continues to heal and restore.

Thank you for all your prayers and sweet notes; keep praying because I still have a ways to go. Your thoughts and comments have truly been uplifting and appreciated. I think I have the best-est friends ever!!!

Cyberpsalmist

8 comments:

Kayla Beck said...

Hey!! Shouldn't you be resting that hand instead of typing? :)

I always love reading your blogs! They are great and so encouraging.

Mary Dekker said...

This story is truly amazing Chrissy! God loves you so much! What a place of contentment to be in, despite circumstances…that the God on the Throne, the God that knows every star in the sky, and every hair on every man, women, and child’s head, would be so mindful of your finger at this very moment. Not only that, but wants you to know that he cares so much for you. He desired you before I even prayed for that baby sister of mine. How I love you, but how he loves you even more!!!!!!!!!!!



Lovingly,

Your sis…….Mary



PS…are you really taking it easy? Be a good girl now, and let others do for you, even if it means asking, cause they don’t know better : ).

Anonymous said...

What a great blessing and for our Saviour to show out in such a way as to directly address your specific needs!!!

God is truly good... ALL the time!

Tinman said...

Well ya went out and earned yourself a little vacation didn't ya. The best thing too is that you have the doctor making it official that everyone has to take care of you and for you to take it easy. I am sure you didn't want a break by way of having a break, no pun intended. :-) But enjoy yourself, relax, read a book or take a trip even.

However just wanted to say God is not only the GREAT PHYSICIAN as He will prove once again in your healing, but He is also the GREAT ACCOUNTANT as He has already proven in the cost of your accident. He is the Donald Trump of Donald Trumps, His riches exceed what our finite minds can comprehend. Because we are His children we have access to that fortune and one day we will receive our full inheritance from Him to enjoy for eternity!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Thanks Kayla,

I promise I will not use that hand to type!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Mary, Sweet Sister of Mine,

I am constantly learning how hard I can rest on Him. Just when I think I have pushed Him to the limit, He beckons me to free fall into His arms and practice trusting once again.

I am amazed by how much He loves me!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Anonymous,

He leads me beside still waters and restores my soul!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Tinman,

I think I'll take you up on your good advice and not only receive some extra help and pampering, but take advantage of this "down time" to catch up on some reading. A road trip sounds like an excellent idea!

I must admit, it takes me twice as long to do anything and I miss the use of my left hand. Tie yours behind your back for one day so you can understand my handicap.

As for letting others take care of me, asking for help is a humbling thing; I have found new ways of getting things done so I'm not such a burden. But getting extra help sure has been nice.

Amen to His provision concerning this - another lesson in trust. I forget He really does delight in me and therefore doesn't hesitate to supply my every need!

I'm so glad to be His daughter!