Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I AM FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE!

Last week, after they begged me all day, I took my kids ice skating. As you may already know, this is something I love to do but was grumbling about that particular day. Call it pure laziness, I just didn't feel like it.

After lacing up my skates and getting on the ice, I took a deep breath and remembered why I loved skating so much. The feeling of the blades as they carved my path began to mesmerize me as I rounded the rink. Revolution after revolution had a way of peeling off the stresses of the day/week. So many of my senses are engage on the ice... the wind in my hair, the sound of familiar rink-side music, along with the typical smells of popcorn and pizza coming from the concession stand. My sense of balance is always exercised, a healthy practice which brings long-tern benefits to all of us.

Growing up in the north, I had plenty of opportunity to hone my ice skating skills. Falling happened less and less as me and this frozen surface became more familiar with each other. Because I still have a love for this type of recreation, I am grateful for my years on the ice; it serves me well today.

Last week I had an accident that will briefly delay my figure-skating future for a few weeks: as I was exiting the ice, I under-estimated the wall at the doorway and slammed my fist into it, breaking my fifth metacarpal just below the knuckle. I noticed the severity of it when
I could not use my hand to remove my skates five minutes later. The next day it was confirmed by my doctor through an examination and x-rays that it was a broken bone.

After the shock passed and I was all alone with the Lord, I looked again at the x-rays and Psalm 139: 14 rose up in me declaring, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." I not only knew those words for memory but needed to believe them. My hand, even in its broken state, was beautiful. God authored its amazing function and I needed to believe the Creator was capable of healing His creation.

I rest in His goodness as He completes the work He started, even if I messed it up. He is a good, good God and I choose to trust Him!

Cyberpsalmist

No comments: