Friday, October 14, 2011

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Chunk of Change

Fall is the time of year when I think about change... the weather begins to change, the leaves change color and the time changes, due to daylight savings. Although change can be good, bringing spice to my routine, not all modifications bring improvement. Sometimes it's inconvenient and comes at the wrong time. Other times, I get weary in the waiting. If I could change three things about my life right now, I would want to grow about four inches, remodel my entire house, and go back to college to finish my degree.

Being vertically challenged has its advantages. For some reason, people associate youth with height. I guess it's because adults are usually looking down at children. Who knows, I never question a good thing. Another benefit is being placed in the front row when it comes to photographs. Regarding dressmaking, being fun sized means I need less fabric to make a garment. But sometimes I just wish I could be about four inches taller. Those extra inches would definitely put me in a different height/weight category... you know, those dreadful charts the medical professionals use to determine if you are overweight - or not.

The other thing I would like to see changed is the interior of my entire home. I love my property and the layout of my house is cozy, but it's in need of serious architectural reconstruction. Although right now I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen, I'm already thinking about the next room I need to transform. With its wood paneling and drafty windows, my red brick ranch home reflects the true style of the sixties and the sixties are where it's stagnated. Every day, it begs me for a face-lift! I wish I had the money to remodel it all at once, then at least all the rooms would have some sort of design cohesion.

The last thing I'd change would be the sense of unfinished business that hovers over me like a gray cloud. After high school, I went away to college to pursue a degree in Clothing and Textiles. It covered everything from Fabric Science to Drafting & Design. I was completely immersed in my field of my dreams but due to unforeseen circumstances, I never completed the course. To this day, I live with gnawing regret. I met the Lord between the Spring and Fall semester of 1978 and because of the massive changes taking place in my life at that time, I never made it back to school. Although I was able earn a living using my sewing skills, I never reached the goal I had intended for myself. There is something to be said about finishing what you start. Who knows, maybe one day I'll have the opportunity.

If change is possible, then we need to be chasing after it. Our desire must be strong enough to give us the gumption necessary to grasp hold of that which is still within our reach.

Sure, changing my educational status from incomplete to finished is slightly possible, and a whole-house renovation is feasible, if I can lay my hands on a big chunk of change. But in order to add four extra inches to my stature, I'm gonna need a creative miracle, and according to Matthew 6:27, ("Has anyone, by fussing in front of the mirror, ever gotten taller by so much as an inch?" The Message) it won't benefit me one bit! Ugh!!!

If you could change three things about your life, what would they be???

Cyberpsalmist

12 comments:

Patrice said...

Autumn is my favorite!

I'm not sure what I would change. Some of it would involve changing the selfish/rude/cruel habits of some people I know :/

Second, I would make it a law that children get to be children FIRST and students 10th. So much of their innate creativity and desire for learning is pared away because of the hyper-education mind-set.

Lastly, I would permanently END the nonsense of Daylight (NOT) Savings Time! The concept is fallacious and unnecessary. No arguments for golf, farming, etc. If you want to do those things, GET UP EARLY YOURSELF... don't drag me with you! It destroys the 8 months of Spring/Summer/Fall every year! It's preposterous!!

So today these are my three things I would change. :)

Cyberpsalmist said...

Patrice, I love your spunk! I also love the way you speak what's on your mind. You have a way of verbalizing strong convictions, while exposing the ridiculous. Save me a seat on your bandwagon... I want to ride up front with you!

Anonymous said...

A blast from the past~Fall causes me to reminisce. I was listening to some old cassette tapes and found your music...As always it took me right to the Throne! I came looking for you but this is the last place I expected to find you...haha. Tried to find an email to catch up on peeps we know but this will have to do. Love your blog! Is that Chris P. in this sunset picture? OK, the suspense is killing you...it's Darlene from Jax Shiloh....You look fabulous in the motorcycle pic! Drop me a line via email.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Darlene, OMG - so good to hear from you. I will be sure to email you but catching up over coffee would be better yet! Talk to you soon!!!

Emily Stutsman said...

At first I couldn't think of anything I would change because I have a wonderful life and im a Christian. Then I thought a little longer and there was one thing I would change, it is my Celiac. I wish I could just sit down and eat regular food. I am still happy though and grateful for what I have. I only have one thing I would change!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Emily,
You just reminded me of a few other physical things I would change too. Like you, there are a number of foods I can't eat, as well as whole categories that are off limits for me. I always say, as I'm passing those foods by, "I'm almost positive they will be on my plate at the marriage supper of the Lamb!"

Thomas Brooke said...

i don't know I don't have a lot of thing that i would change. i think though that one thing i would change is my knees. Right now my knees are pretty messed up. so i would change that so that I could go into a crouch and have it not be painfully.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Thomas,

So sorry to hear about your knees. I will certainly make that a matter of prayer. Yours shouldn't be worn out yet, but I know how physically active you are. Older folks have their knees replaced all the time so maybe you'll need new ones sooner rather than later.

Walter said...

For some reason when people ask me what i would change about my life, my brain automatically jumps to superpowers. That being said, the first thing i would wish for is the superpower of teleportation - because one can get into all sorts of mischief if able to jump to any point in space at will. The second of course, is tons of money. Or rather an endless supply of money, like a giant clam that spits out dollar bills whenever i sing it a song or something of the like. And finally, i would wish to have the talent to play any instrument i touch with impeccable and unequaled skill. Just because.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Walter, I love that you picked something like superpowers! I only wish I would have thought of it first!

Money would be the answer to most anything that hinders us so seeing as you asked for it, please remember me when you want to share it.

As far as becoming musically adept, this is still within your reach. Not only do you have an appreciation for it, you have natural talent to build on.

garrett Larson said...

The three things that I would change.

When people drive recklessly, for example when people drive slow in the fast lane.

Or if people stopped randomly wanting to hijack planes.

And if people would give me money for no reason.

If all this happened that would be great.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Garrett,

Thanks for your thoughts on what you would change. I agree with your comments, especially the one about the money. Remember me when your ship comes in!

Sincerely,

Your loving Mother <3