Monday, January 20, 2014

How Many Birthday Candles?

Mia & Benjamin James Larson (3 months)

Those of us who could, gathered together yesterday, to celebrate my husbands 63rd birthday. He's a walking miracle. They say cats have nine lives. Well, Gary Larson has had more lives than I can count. Then there's the other numerous near-death adventures he doesn't think I know about, which put him in an elite, but small category of survivors, all his own.

Not only did I enjoy the birthday celebration, I especially loved holding my three-month old grandson, Benjamin. His instinctive coos and crooked baby grins melted my heart. I carried on with him until his eyelids thickened and he began to sink deep into my arms. My sweet boy endured all the music, laughter, and social stimulation he could handle and then slowly drifted off to sleep. His mother graciously asked me if I needed her to take him, so I could eat the once steaming hot, feta cheese and spinach-stuffed calzone in front of me. But I was already full, satisfied by him.

There's nothing quite like cuddling with an innocent child. While they sleep, you dream for them, hoping they'll reach for the stars in a way you never could. Heaven forbid, the mistakes you made would be repeated by them.

I looked down at him while he took a power nap, and decided to whisper a prayer for his life. "Be strong and intuitive. Guard your heart and don't give your devotion away before your time. Jesus wants you to run beside Him, not behind Him. He will call you his friend."

What if I don't get to tell him all the things penned up in my heart? I hope and pray I'll have trillions of face-to-face chances to say what I believe about him. But, God only knows how many birthdays candles I get to blow out.

QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: If you could give a newborn baby advice, what would it be?

Chrissy (Cyberpsalmist)

10 comments:

Briana said...

Love your siblings and always make time to listen others.

Lily Larson said...

Don't forget to grow up strong, you will need it. Oh, and don't eat yellow snow.

appleautumnjean said...

You are beautiful no matter what any body else says because God made you!

Unknown said...

Always know who you are and don't let anybody change that.

Garrett said...

Agoooo yeoaau bardradle jubsity waba wab, well you would understand if you where a baby.

Unknown said...

Always look on the bright side of things or no one will want to be your friend.

Evan Kennon said...

Always be nice to others, and treat other as you would treat yourself.

Unknown said...

Make wise choices.

Amelia Grayson said...

Always look to the interests of others. Put your family and friends first!

I am who HE made me--- Genger said...

Don't worry about what other think of you. Just be youself. Have fun, praise God and get hert.