Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy New Year Everyone!

It's January, 2014, and although Christmas was only 19 days ago, it seems so far removed from the thoughts that now fill my mind. Lately, I've been busy trying to recapture getting some order back in my home... not because I had an incredibly chaotic holiday, but I'm still not done renovating from the flood of 2013. We've saved a ton of money by doing the work ourselves. The biggest drawback is this way only saves money. It's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

While I'm ready for everything to be put back in it's proper place, I decided I wasn't going to get my undies in a bundle and fret about any of it. This approach has saved me from covering my grey's sooner, as well as a few manicures over chewed fingernails. God's hand has been in this all the way and I'm really enjoying how it's coming together.

Speaking of coming together, one of my favorite fun time childhood memories growing up was playing games. I'm specifically talking about games played around a table, such as cards or board games. My family was so big, we often had to add an extra deck of cards to a game so that the draw pile wouldn't run out so quickly.

On the top of my list of favorites would definitely be the classics such as Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Sorry, and Chinese Checkers. I also loved Crazy Eights and Spoons. But Rummy Royal holds the top position. (The game also goes by the title Michigan Rummy.) All ages do well in playing this vintage board game and the only special equipment required is a deck of cards and a good supply of poker chips. The object of the game is to have the most chips at the end and the end of the game comes when your opponents either get bored or tired. If you need to get a snack or step away for any reason, you can ask to be "dealt out" for a round, making the game very flexible.

Now, I know many of you would disagree on this point but, I think games that don't make me think or strategize too hard are more fun. Because I hold this opinion, you won't find me begging anyone to play Monopoly or Chess. I'll leave those games for you to play.

With that said...

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: what's your favorite family table game? And tell me why you love it.

Chrissy


21 comments:

Briana said...

We don't play a lot of 'table games', but I would probable say speed Uno (I think this is qualified as a table game?). Mainly because it doesn't take as long to play and, like you, I prefer to play games that don't require a ton of brain power.

Cyberpsalmist said...

I'm with you, Brianna. I didn't mention Uno, but that's another good choice. It's the type of game that allows players to come and go. When one family member gets tired of playing, another can join in. Great choice!

Chrissy

Unknown said...

My favorite games are Dutch Blitz, Apples to Apples, and Monopoly. Dutch Blitz is a fast moving card game that takes a lot of brain power. Apples to Apples is a slow moving card game. You know what Monopoly is, a slow moving board game that usually takes a long time to finnish. I don't know if this qualifies, but we like telling riddles to each other after dinner. On that note, I challenge the class to a riddle. I will give the answer during class on Friday.

A man was pushing his car and stopped in front of a hotel. Then he said" That's it. I'm broke. I'm finished." Why did the man say that?

Good luck!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Connor,

You mentioned so many of my favorite games! Apples to Apples has become a family favorite too.

I love the riddle, Connor, and have no idea what the answer is! Can't wait until Friday :)

Chrissy

The Nonna said...

Since I am part of the "Bifano Brood", I too would say "Royal Rummy" is my favorite for all times. When can I play with you sisto?

Lily Larson said...

My favorite is Royal Rummie as well. Probably because, like you said, everyone can play it. I can remember a couple years ago when we were camping, and we call clumped in the camper to play. probably for hours.

ME aka Ginger aka Sam said...

I don't have a favorite board game because there are so many good ones. I love games with brain power. I love RISK and a new game to me called THE SETTLERS OF CATAN. I love CAtAN because the board changes every time.

Cyberpsalmist said...

To the Nonna from the Mia -

I say we have a Sister's weekend soon. If the only two sister's are you and I, then so be it! It's time to PLAY!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Lily,

I'm glad you share my choice! It's such a fun game. I'm so glad we keep Rummy Royal in the camper... especially for those rainy nights! Which reminds me- we need to go camping soon :)

Mom

Cyberpsalmist said...

Ginger,

My boys play Risk and they love it. I've never heard of The Settlers of Catan. I imagine my boys would love it too, especially if it's a game of strategy.

Thanks for sharing,
Chrissy

appleautumnjean said...

My favorite would have to be nertz! It is a fast moving card game simular to dutch Blitz. I like it because it requiers skill to win and not just luck.

Glen said...

My favorite board games I have would be Qwirkle, chess, knect 4 by 4, monopoly city, monopoly millionaire, and apples to apples. I really like those games a lot.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Autumn,

I must say, I've never played Nertz, much less even heard of it.

It looks like we all have to go online and check out the games mentioned here.

Thanks for telling us about this game :)

Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Glen,

Sounds like you enjoy board games! I bet you have a cabinet full of fun games to play.

I've never heard of Quirky so I'll need to look it up online to see if it's a game my family might enjoy.

Thanks for your input!
Chrissy

Garrett Larson said...

My favorite family board game was the one pictured in the bottom of the newest blog, its the game of royal rummy and its not a game you have to be good at and all you have to be good at is calling you cards. sometime the hole family clan would roll it out and play for hours on end.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Yes Garrett, that's so true. You don't need any special talent to play the game. You just need to watch your hand and play the game. It almost plays by itself. And there's no way to cheat or get over on someone. For that reason, we all love it!

Mom

Unknown said...

The game of Scrabble is my family's favorite board game. Sometimes our competitiveness can get out of hand and it is very comical to see the personality's react to winning or losing. I personally love the game because we get to gather as a family and just hang out and talk about our day. We play it in our living room around the white coffee table in the middle of the room. My family and I have so much fun with the game that one time we played until 12 o'clock at night. My mother thinks that she's the "MASTER" at Scrabble but I think that my sister, Grayson, is. Scrabble is by far my family's favorite board game.

Evan Kennon said...

My mom loves Scrabble, but we mostly play a card game called Gin-rummy, you need nine cards if you play with three players, but if you play with four or more players you would need seven cards. This is a game of luck and strategy. Our family is really competitive at this game, for example when you are one card away and the person that is after you puts the card that you need down then you have to change your whole card strategy. It gets really frustrating but its a fun game to play with your family.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Jared and Evan,

I chose to answer you together because:
A) it's late and I'm tired because I worked ALL day
B) you both chose the same family game!

I have a brand-new, deluxe Scrabble game but can't find anyone in my family who wants to play. Can you believe this?

Call me sometime when you are playing so I can join you :)

Chrissy

Zach Appelo said...

My favorite is a game called Acquire! It's about investing, and its not all about luck, its very strategic, and you learn how to invest from it!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Zach,

I've never heard of the game "Acquire!" but will check it out. It may be a great gift idea for someone who enjoys games of strategy and deep thought.

Not my type of game but someone's got to play them :)

Chrissy