Monday, April 27, 2009

A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE

by Chrissy Larson

Soon, we'll all be putting last-minute touches on another chapter in our books. It's hard to believe an entire school year has come and gone, yet it has.

I remember my mixed emotions around August of 2008 . . . I wondered how my family would fare, coming into a new co-op, after having been rooted in one for the last 16 years. But God was very clear in letting me know that change was coming.

My dad thrives on change too. He loved to buy old houses and fix them up, only to sell them and move on to another. My mother and I counted how many times she moved since she got married and it was astounding! (I think it was close to 15 times and he is NOT in the military.) She never intends to move again.

It's fun to open the door of your new home and look for what will be your bedroom. But it's not any fun to open your heart all over again to perfect strangers, hoping to find someone who will allow you to enter their already established social world. I had a fairly easy time making friends but I hated the usual awkwardness.

No sooner did I jump that hurtle, he was either talking about another move or it was a natural time to change schools (elementary to middle or middle to high school.) Nothing could be more inconvenient.

But, who ever said life was convenient. I've learned a lot through it all . . . I'm not afraid of new situations; my confidence is in Him and not myself; I'll lead OR follow, whichever is needed; I don't know a stranger; I'm not afraid to open a new door or shut an old one; I don't burn any bridges AND always try to finish well. (That's when it's the hardest to maintain integrity.) One last thing: it pays to be obedient, even when sacrifice is involved.

Sometimes I get weary and wish I could put my pen down. I'm tired of putting last-minute touches on chapters . . . I just want to finish the book! I've concluded that as long as I have breath in my lungs, I'm not done. Usually, He brings a word of encouragement or allows me to see His hand on my life. My true significance is jolted and I get my focus back.

I'm still not satisfied with what I've done and know I still need to put my mark on this life. The impression I've made is not deep enough. For those who know anything about sewing, it's like having a pattern that repeatedly needs cutting out. Jesus is at the core of every being; yet there are so many who refuse to look within.

So, should you continue to visit this cite, I warn you: I'll drive you to excellence hoping you will be driven to your knees in humility. I hope you remember some of the words I've penned, yet I never want the enemy to forget the threat you and I are to his schemes. It's my desire that you know the intent of the Almighty God and what He has for you. Your future is amazing!!!

My plan is to keep pushing and prodding, keep wishing and waiting, and yes, keep reeling and writing until you see. Whatever it takes, no matter the cost, in spite of the inconvenience, whether I move on or I stay, I intend on making a difference!

How do you intend to make a difference?

20 comments:

Mrs. Brooks said...

As you, Cyberpsalmist, or any other homeschool mom can testify, we are making a difference this very moment as we instill in our children a godly worldview. It doesn't matter that my name won't be in the history books, but you and I are collectively raising a generation who will impact our future. If we're still around and have our mental faculties and eyesight, we may be one day reading about some of these whom the Lord has allowed us to mentor. Now that's a mark!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Mrs. Brooks,

What an honor that will be! I am confident we will see this day and hopefully see the impression we have left on the lives of those we have taught. It has been such a joy to tag-team with you. I will miss mixing up your red pen with mine!

DC:23 said...

well I intend to make a difference in people's heats. i intend to share the good news with everybody I can and hopefully they will listen.

Hunter Rice said...

I intend to make the world different by showing the world how awesome I am and hopefully the world will see my awesomeness and try to be awesome like me

Alyssa Thrift said...

I intend to make a difference in peoples hearts, by trying to tell them the truth. I can't say for sure if I have struck anyone, but I can truthfully say I try!
Its hard to say honestly if I seriously can strike people by my actions, I know it is possible but its whether or not God has put me in people's lives for a reason or not.

Although I intend to telling about Christ to people more than anything, it seems like other things I do attract people more. Questions come like: "Do I really want to do this?" "Is this how God is working in me now?" Those questions definitly control your mind and actions!

The things we intend to do and actully do can be totally different. Obviously as Christians we all say we intend to spread the amazing truth. But truthfully, is that what is in our hearts? Certain times in our lives (hopefully) at one time or another we experience that AMAZING moment where we just want to scream God's word to the world. And those have to be the most treasured moments! Where I'm going with all of this is that its really hard to commit to these intentions! I intend to share God's word, and prepare for any battle someone may throw back.
Everything is in God's hands!!

Alyssa Thrift said...

Oh, I just want to quickly say thank you Mrs. Larson for sharing with us your blog! =P
Its an encouragement and a high-light to our homework! Your love to write is shown and you have an AMAZING talent! Thanks for sharing! :) :D =)

<3 <3 <3

Daniel Brooks said...

I think we can always intend to make a difference, but the difference we make is not always the one we intend. The best that I (or anyone) can do is just obey God and do the best I can at whatever I do.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Dallas,

I am sure, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that you will make a difference in your world. Only YOU can touch the people you hang with - I'll never have your influence with them. I agree with your desire for listening ears.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Hunter,

On a stand-alone basis, we have only our humanness, which by itself, is not much. But when He touches our lives, it's awesome!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Alyssa, I can already see how you influence people in your world. You may be quiet, but Jesus screams out loud from within you. You are not afraid to stand up and be counted, even if you are the only one standing.

People are truly attracted to you and carefully watch your every move. Your witness is often silent . . . it's not WHAT you say, it's that you hold your peace when others choose to mouth off.

The preparation you speak of is a very important key for us (our generation.) It's through this kind of perseverance that we will be able to HOLD FAST until the end, whatever that looks like. The battles we endure now are like boot camp. God is preparing an end-time army and I'm glad I'll be fighting with warriors like YOU!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Alyssa,
I'm so glad you have enjoyed the blog. Please continue to visit - your comments are ALWAYS appreciated.

I never considered myself a writer; I have a huge desire to express myself, though. Writing just happens to be the best way to do it since mind-reading never worked! Thanks!!!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Daniel,

Well put! I may just post that on Facebook as one of my favorite sayings. May I quote you?

You are so right - actually, my intentions have gotten in the way of His intent. I have learned to stay flexible, allowing plenty of room for the Holy Spirit to work.

amy said...

I want to try to make a difference in my church. I want to work on being more outspoken for those in my class. I also want to be kind to those who are new and don't no anyone. It has always been a challenge to me to speak to new people at my church, because of fear of what they might think of me or fealing shy and not wanting to give any effort of making them feal welcomed. I then want to try to make a difference at my work for the ladies who are not saved. I pray that God will let me know the right time to speak to them about the Gospel.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Amy,

I think you have found those who need your ministry the most . . . the new ones; those that are shy and afraid; the timid who stand in the back. You have a heart for the out of place and will be the welcome mat to the door of His heart. What an awesome place to stand in God's Kingdom!

Galactus said...

I like Hunter's idea. I think his awesomeness is affecting me, and making me want to be awesome. I suddenly want to listen to classic rock and drive down the road with the speakers blasting.


But,I could try to make myself a better person. The best anyone can do is to live their life to the best of their abilities. It's like the end of Saving Private Ryan(Great movie by the way.)

When Ryan is told he no longer has to fight, he asks, "What have I done to deserve this?" Later the Lieutenant tells him, "Earn this."

I think I might have made a carbon copy of Daniel's post. Oops. I didn't mean to. But that's pretty much the best anyone can hope to do. We live our lives the best we can, then die, then chill with God.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Amen, Kyle! Life SOOO full and if we choose to max it out, it will maximize us in the process.

It will be so incredible to one day sit with you and rest from our labors here on this earth. I have a feeling we will have plenty to do in heaven, but there won't be an ounce of fight in it. I can't wait!

Surreptitious Faerie said...

I was always told when I was younger that a great way to touch someone's life was to smile at them. :D Smiles are contagious. But I suppose to make a difference, I would just want to be a good friend and someone to confide in. A little kindness goes a long way.

Demetri Maroosis said...

I intend to be very loud for Christ in this world. I want to be a light in my future college, and to also be a light through my education. I want to show others God's power through everything.

Tina said...

As most of you have mentioned, I want to make a difference in the lives of those around me--family, friends, and strangers. To those who are lost, I must proclaim the gospel with love and, as 1 Peter 3:15 (ESV) says, "but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you." Plus, "In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, ESV) May my actions reflect Christ who is in me! He truly is the only one who can convict and change a heart, but we can be used by Him to bring this about.
To those who are my fellow believers, the Bible speaks of practicing the "one anothers," which consist of loving one another, encouraging one another, admonishing one another, bearing one anothers' burdens, and so on. Also, if I obediently use my spiritual gift, I am helping the church body function (work the way it is supposed to).
Personally, I can use my talent of music to glorify God and reach out to others. I definitely pray that God will use me in this area!
Speaking of "personally," I must also personally examine myself--make a difference within me--before I make any difference in the lives of others. For example, how could someone share the gospel without first having received salvation? As a Christian, before we point out the sin in others, we must deal with the sin in us first. "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."
Matthew 7:3-5
All in all, Christ truly is the only one who can convict and change a heart, but we can be used by Him to bring this about.

Nathan James said...

i am not yet sure how i intend to make a difference