Monday, September 5, 2011

MUSIC TO MY EARS

Lately, I'v been thinking about how music affects me. I have cd's in my car that rotate, going from my player to the visor storage case and then to the house. Some have a shorter season than others while others rarely get the eject button.

It's been said that music is the universal language. I know this statement is true from first-hand experience. On my first missions trip to Jamaica, I was performing a sound check with an instrument that had a built-in rhythm section and used a drum beat to test the sound system. As soon as it began to play, people stopped what they were doing and started to clap or dance along. Before the beat started, folks wondered who I might be and what my business was there. But after the rhythm filled the room, nothing mattered.

My mood will often dictate what I want to listen to. If I feel like putting an exclamation point on my emotions, I'll choose accordingly. On the other hand, if I need an adjustment in attitude, I will use certain music genre's to accomplish that. I saw a wall plaque that defined this appropriately... "Music is what feelings sound like."

Technically, music is the art of organizing sounds and silence. The composer decides which instruments to use and when, along with when to let the song breathe. The Bible describes that moment as a selah, or intentional space given for the purpose of meditation. Not all writers and composers give regard to the fact that music is therapeutic, whether they like it or not. It can be either positive or negative. I learned one of the best lessons from an instructional DVD series which pointed out that measures of rests were just as significant as the measures with music.

Music affects people in more ways than I have described here. It truly speaks a language
everyone understands, can enhance your mood or change your frame of mind, and provides
either healing or harm. Anyway you define it, it's music to my ears.

If your life was a song, what would the title be? Why?
I'd love to know...

Cyberpsalmist
Chrissy Larson


11 comments:

Garrett Larson said...

"I Am Determined"

I chose this song title because my Dad raised me with Larson determination. He taught me to go after what you want, get what you need, and don't stop until you get it. Some of his sayings are, "do it right the first time," and "If it doesn't fit, force it." So,"when in doubt, duct tape and vice grips."

Garrett Larson

Cyberpsalmist said...

Garrett, I like your choice and agree that this title suits you perfectly. After being married to your dad for 33 years, I have experienced the benefits of your so-called Larson Determination. It has gotten us out of many a jam and also saved us tons of money. On the other hand, it has cost us some too. All in all, determination is a great quality, one that will truly benefit you. Hopefully, you will be discerning enough to know when it's time to quit. (Oops - Larson's think that "quit" is a four-letter word!)

Cyberpsalmist

Cathi B Wilcox said...

That's easy...there's a song by Herb Alpert called "Rise" and there are no lyrics, it's just a really happy, upbeat tune that just makes me smile!

Cathi B. Wilcox

Cyberpsalmist said...

Cathi,

I love that song! In fact, I am listening to it right now on YouTube while I post my comment back to you. I see you smiling and miss you!

Emily Stutsman said...

Just Fishing

I like this song title because its a song about a daughter and her dad just fishing. She thinks she's just fishing with him, but her dad sees that there is more to it, than just sitting there. He sees that they are building a memory together. Also, he see's there's more to her life than she thinks and that she thinks its so simple.

Emily Stutsman

Cyberpsalmist said...

Emily, I will have to find a copy of the song so I can hear it. It sounds tender. I love songs that tell a story or relate a lesson learned. Sounds like this one is in that category. I get the feeling you like to fish as well. Did you know your heavenly Daddy loves to fish with you too?

Patrice Gitaitis said...

My song would be entitled "You are Everything to Me".

Cyberpsalmist said...

Patrice, I agree 100% with you in saying He is my everything too. I wonder where I would be without Him right now and shutter at the thought. I know my weaknesses and they are many. Thank God He is strong for me!

Thomas Brooke said...

"Good life"

I feel compelled to pick this as the song to my life for a few different reasons. First and foremost because I have been raised in a christian household with upright parents who not only devote there time to teaching but also welcome sarcasm and facetiousness almost more the Yankee paraphernalia. I also have been blessed with a body in which I can play sports.

Thomas Brooke
PS the song "good life" by One Republic is a good song.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Thomas,

Your parents are amazing... the fact that they are Yankee fans makes them that much more amazing! They are very resilient people and you have certainly inherited all their best qualities. I'm so grateful to know you and your entire family :)

Ps. I'll check out the song.

DJ Wiggity-White Chocolate, aka Bobby Bugatti, aka Ray Romano Cheese, aka Walter Morris said...

I think if i had to choose a song to take the place of my life, it would have to be "My Way" by Frank Sinatra. I feel like when i listen to this song, i can really relate to Old Blue Eyes, because whenever i do anything, whether it be going all out and giving 100% or giving the absolute least amount of effort possible, i always seem to do it in a unique way and stand out amongst the crowd ,drawing alot of attention to myself, i.e. doing it 'my way'.