Saturday, September 10, 2011

Question of the Week


I was thinking about one of my favorite movies the other day. I realize most of you would not have this title on your top 10 list but it most certainly sits high on mine. Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer opened nationwide in living color around March of 1965. It might have been the era I grew up in, the architecture of the old theater, or the fact that this true story slightly mimicked my own life which contributes to the fact that this movie ranks very high on my list.

I grew up in a day and time when movies stayed in theaters for months and only one movie showed at a time. The Stardusk Drive-In was my parent's favorite theater because they could pile us all in the back of the station wagon in our pajamas with a grocery bag full of popcorn and a thermos jug of Kool-Aid. What made the venue inexpensive and family-friendly was the fact that they were charged by the carload instead of by the head and conveniently located on the grounds just below the huge screen were several rows of swing sets for bored, restless children.

The movie I'm talking about was not shown at the drive-in.
It played at the beautiful, historic Sheboygan Theater. I still remember the midnight blue ceiling of the theater with it's realistic sparkling stars. The interior resembled a summer evening in a romantic Spanish garden. Happy to have any seat on the floor, I dreamed of sitting in the box seats above me, just like in the movies. I anticipated the opening of the velvety scarlet colored curtains which revealed the shimmering silver screen.

Little did I know that same movie screen would also reveal a piece of my life. Just as Maria longed to devote her existence to the Lord through music and a life-long commitment to the church, I shared the same passions. At a very young age, I asked my parents if I could visit a convent to either prove or put to rest my desire to become a nun. Like Maria Von Trapp, I had a permanent song in my heart but my desire for children always seemed to get in the way of choosing a life of celibacy.

Four children and many songs later, I look back on the way that movie impacted me. I needed Maria to show me that I could serve the Lord just as fervently outside the convent as in. I needed the Mother Superior's advice to follow my heart and I sincerely needed Captain Von Trapp to instill hope that a Lover and a Rescuer would soon come for me as well. Whether it was the era, the building or the movie's mirror imaging, the "Sound of Music" was a coming attraction of my life.

What movie has made a big impact on your life and why?
I'd love to know...

Cyberpsalmist
Chrissy Larson

10 comments:

Thomas Brooke said...

"Life Is Beautiful"

Out of the wide world of cinema I must say that "La vita รจ bella", to give it's original title, is the movie that has effected me more then any other. This movie shows the love of a family in World War II. The movie truly shows the love of a father and mother for there son and how they give up everything there son. The two things that made me choose this over say one of five different Tom Hanks movies, is that it shows that even at the most serious times comedy can be warranted(ex. the riddles). and secondly because it shows innocence in the son that allows you to understand what Christ means by saying to be like children.

Thomas Brooke
ps it shows ignorance is bliss.

Cyberpsalmist said...

WOW, Thomas, I LOVE that movie! In fact, I wish it was on our list of movies to view for class but there's only so many weeks in a year for all this film fun. I am a firm believer in laughing at my mistakes as well as applying a more "Pollyanna" approach to life's setbacks. It's a real art to sprinkle in laughter and for some, it comes easier than it does to others.

Cyberpsalmist

Walter 'Mo Money' Morris said...

The movie that has had the most impact on my life would probably be "Rushmore", because there are many paralells between my life and the main character Max Fischer. For example: he went to a small but very prestigious Episcopalian school, as did I. He often daydreamed during chapel, one of my favorite pastimes. He was on the debate team, was not a great student, the burden of unrequited 'love', had a brief stint with public school, and ambitions bigger and more extroardinary than was practical. I, for all intents and purposes, am Max Fischer. And it is because of this that i feel a certain connection with Max, and his trials and hardships, which allowed me to really take to the heart of the movie, which is that it's alright to be brash and bold and audacious, and to never let go of the dreams and ambitions that drive you, no matter how big.

Emily Stutsman said...

"Amastaad"

This movie truely opened my eyes to see how slavery, was a such a terrible thing. I never knew how extreme the slave ships treated them. It also showed, that God would help in a situation when asked and to show His Glory still to the unbielevers. After the African Americans saw this what God can do, they changed their ways and trusted him. That's the way we fellow Christians should live because even though we go through troubled times we should never lose faith.

Emily Stutsman

Cyberpsalmist said...

Walter, I have to admit, I haven't see this movie. I will certainly rent/Netflix it so I can learn more about you. It's exhilarating to see yourself or your life represented in a movie. In my case, it was just a segment as well as the fact that the main character and I held so many of the same ideals. The advantage you have over the character in your movie is that you have the Lord's hand of blessing over you and parents who pray daily for you to follow His will. It will be interesting to see how far into the future your life mimics that of Max Fischer's. I think I would like to see the "Walter Morris" movie!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Emily, Good pick! Such a well done film too. I saw a film that moved me in the same way called "Taken" which exposes human trafficking. The movie not only stirred a righteous anger in me, I grieved at the injustice. When the directors/writers engage the audience to the point where we are able to say, "that could be me" they have accomplished a lot; I leave movies like that a changed person!

Garrett Larson said...

"Grand Torino"

When Walt Kawalski (Clint Eastwood) finds the boy next door in his garage trying to steel his prized Grand Torino, he offers forgiveness but it comes with a price. Next, Walt sees the boy next door being beat up by some punks and shows he has no fear over thugs. He goes out his way and lays his life down to save a girl and her brother, a friendship slowly comes into being between the boy's family and Kawalski.

This movie showed me that even a man with illnesses and a regretful past can throw his life down for a purpose greater than his own.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Garrett, better late than never! I extend grace to you for writing this so late, but only for this week :)

This is one of my favorite movies and had a huge impact on me as well. I was impressed with the many talents of Clint Eastwood... from acting to directing, music, etc. He is so good. I was also taken back by the films type and shadowing. It wasn't until the end that I made the connection. I wonder if Mr. Eastwood was intentional about this?

Kawalski was a tough character and it was good to see the softer side of this man. I believe we all know men like him, who have a rough exterior but are nothing but teddy bears on the inside. The world needs to see the emotions and tenderness of men more often. It is a gift to reveal them as well as a gift to receive them.

Cyberpsalmist said...

WARNING! Grand Torino is rated "R" for violence and language. Be advised, it has "F" bombs everywhere! I recommend you view this with a parent (like Garrett did) so any offensive parts can be edited or explained.

Thanks,
Cyberpsalmist

Joni Bifano said...

That was so lovely, Chrissy. How very much alike we are. Having much the same dreams and that desire God Himself put in to us at a very early age. ****The Big Longing that turned out to be Jesus Himself...I HAVE TO HAVE HIM, I HAVE TO HAVE HIM, I HAVE TO HAVE HIM!!!

I've admired many of the old movies, just one I think of was Bells of St. Mary's with Bing Crosby

I LOVE YOU lil chickadee
Mom