Sunday, September 25, 2011

Question of the Week

MAKING MY LIST, CHECKING IT TWICE

Some of you may have seen the movie "Bucket List" starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's about a man who keeps a list of all the things he wants to do before he kicks the bucket. After finding out his time on earth may be cut short, he decides it's time to get as much checked off the list as possible. Seeing the movie, coupled with having the "C" word knock on our family's door, I began to consider what my bucket list might have on it and decided to share with you three things I have yet to check off.

Out of all seven continents, I have only been on two. I've traveled more than I ever dreamed I would, seeing such countries as Canada, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, England, Denmark, Sweden, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, not to mention the Bahamas and 38 of the 50 US states, including Hawaii. But my desire is to have my feet touch all seven continents. I have five more to go.

For me, traveling fulfills one of my deepest heart desires, but running a close second is singing. I grew up in a very musical family and watching Mom sing every weekend in nightclubs made it look so easy. With that kind of an influence, it was as natural for me to pick up a microphone as it was to bake a cake... she taught me how to do both with ease. Today, we each use our talent to glorify His name but I still have a longing to sing those same standards she use to sing. One day, I would love to record some of those old tunes myself.

Recording is not as costly as traveling to five more continents but going to the International House of Prayer in Kansas City for three months might come close. I have always dreamed of enrolling in one of the three month internships at IHOP-KC. The program is designed to immerse you in a deeper walk of intimacy with Jesus as well as expand the prophetic giftings. Although I could take my two youngest teens with me, I haven't figured out how to be gone from my husband for that long a time. Besides the cost of the internship, housing, and food, saving for this would have to include numerous trips back and forth so we could all see each other. Maybe this one is too big a dream.

Have I sight my sights too high or fallen short when it comes to grabbing at the abundance He promises? Already, I've had the opportunity to travel, visiting places all over the world. More recently, I've accomplished some extreme personal challenges I thought I would never face. Yet each new adventure has been totally Spirit led and truly purpose driven. Some have accused me of going through a mid-life crisis while others think my new found hobbies are pretty cool. My check boxes continues to grow and I've finally decided nothing on the list is impossible unless He says no.

Please share three things you have on your bucket list...
I'd love to know!

Cyberpsalmist

10 comments:

Patrice said...

My three things are:

1. Drive (fly) on the Salt Flats! World records have been made there. I'm not interested in a world record but from the time I was 8 or 9 and first saw it on TV or in a book, I've wanted to take my car and push it to it's limit on the Flats!

2. Drive Route 66 in a great car... a l-o-n-g Cadillac, a Mustang V-8, a Bentley, or a Rolls Royce with the music of the first half of the 20th century blaring out the wheel wells!

3. Return to, and linger in, Malcesnie, Italy on Lake Garda. It is the most beautiful place in the entire world and I already have a place of peace there.

Patrice

Emily Stutsman said...

My three things are:

1. Go to Greece and see all the different sites. I also wanted to go swim in their ocean, it always looks so clear in movies.

2. Sky Dive. Im a little bit of a adrenaline junkee so i would love to do this!

3. Meet Lady Ga Ga and go throw her wardrobe closet! Just to see whats really all in there.

Emily

Cyberpsalmist said...

Patrice,
When I saw the movie, "The Worlds Fasted Indian" I couldn't help but think of taking my motorcycle for the ride of all rides. Looks like the perfect place to max anything out. As far as Route 66, I'd be game for that trip. Don't forget about me when you start making plans. If I would have asked for four things on your bucket list, returning to Italy would have been my forth. I agree with you 100% about its endless, peaceful beauty. I threw my three coins in the Trevi Fountain, declaring I'd be back!

Cyberpsalmist

Cyberpsalmist said...

Emily,

Since Greece is just across from Italy, maybe I could join you. To see those ancient ruins up close (vs. a textbook) would be amazing. As far as skydiving, I'll keep my eye out for a Groupon of a good deal and go with you. It's on the longer version of my list. Where Lady Gaga is concerned, you can tell me all about it. Make sure to take plenty of pictures as I'm sure it would be unbelievable!

Cyberpsalmist

Garrett Larson said...

1 Get a pilots license.

2 Be a rich guy. Why? Because I can.

3 Buy my great grandmothers house. It has a room called the Walnut Room, which is covered in panels of walnut wood. The room has a secret door that leads to a closet.

Walter said...

Mine is quite long, but the abridged version is:
1.Climb everest
2.Restore the 'lude
3.Have a lil baby boy.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Garrett, I am in full support of your bucket list. If you get that pilots license, it will be a lot easier for me to travel, and that's on MY bucket list. If you become a rich guy, I will be too because I KNOW you'll take good care of me too. Finally, Although I have never seen your great grandmother's house, by your description, I feel sure you'll have room for me when I visit. In fact, I could even live in the loft!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Walter,

Please make sure to inform me before you make the climb. I want to be part of the send-off and welcoming party as that would be quite a feat!

I need clarification on your #2... what is the 'lude?

Your life will change the day you hold your firstborn son in your arms. It's as though God gives you a second chance at life through your children!

Thomas Brooke said...

1. skydive!! I have always wanted to jump out of an airplane. I think that the adrenaline rush would be an amazing feeling and to see the world rush up at you.

2. scuba/snorkel in the Great barrier reef. I have wanted to do this for such a long time. it is the largest living structure in the world and it can be seen from the moon.

3. go to multiple World Series games. I just think the excitement would be so much fun.

Thomas Brooke

Cyberpsalmist said...

Thomas,

It looks like Emily, you and me might qualify for a group rate on the skydiving! As I said to Emily, I'll keep my open for an opportunity.

Australia has always fascinated me... and it has so much to offer. I love to snorkel and can't imagine there being better waters to do this in. It's one of the continents I need to put my foot on still.

As far as baseball, I don't share the passion quite as much as you do. I need to let you in on a little unknown secret though... my brother-in-law played in two worlds series. His trophy is beautiful!