Monday, November 14, 2011

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Re-Opened Doors by Garrett Larson

Have you ever had a favorite restaurant or store that closed? When I was a kid, we went to an Italian fast-food restaurant called Fazoli’s. My family went to there almost every Sunday for lunch after church. A couple of years later, all the Fazoli’s in Jacksonville closed, probably because they did not have enough business, which was devastating to me. If I had known they were going to close, I would have given them more business and told more people about it.

My favorite item on the menu was the Italian Sampler, which included Spaghetti, Lasagna, and Stuffed Shells, along with all-you-can-eat, steaming hot, garlic bread sticks. To complete my meal, I had a refreshing ice cold Coca-Cola. Since they closed their doors, I have not found a replacement. Keep in mind, I come from an Italian family and can eat the best Italian food anytime. But Fazoli’s was fast, fresh Italian for on the go.

One weekend, I traveled to Tifton to spend time learning about Biology from my brother’s Father-in-law. On the way there, we drove past a Fazoli’s sign and my heart skipped a beat. My mom promised to take me there on the way home. During the entire time I was in Tifton, the restaurant was in the back of my mind. All I could think of was the Italian Sampler and the never-ending breadsticks.

It took and hour to get from Tifton to Valdosta, which seemed like forever. The Sampler was exactly the way I remembered it… hot, saucy, and delicious. I ate every bite! Even though there isn’t a Fazoli’s in Jacksonville and I’m still craving their food, all I have to do is drive to Valdosta to eat at a Fazoli’s.

If you could re-open a place that has closed, what would it be and why?

7 comments:

Emily Stutsman said...

When I little we use to go to an event called Oluste in Sanderson, Florida. The event was all about the civil war and a reanactment of the battle that happened there during the Civil War. I was very little when I attened this event every year. I dressed up in civil war clothes and went to the tea parties and all they had in the big white tent. I have not been to the Oluste battlefield in probably 6 years. I hope this up coming year I will attend this event!

Walter said...

When i was very small there was a Burger King nestled in the southernmost point of Ortega. It was the most fantastic BK, because it always smelled of freshly fried fries and had one of those touch screen kiosks where you could draw and paint and play as long as you liked. Sadly though, they closed in leiu of the Texaco which reeked of cigarettes. If i could re-open any store, it would be that very BK, so i could feel like a child again, how i did back in the good ol' days.

Cyberpsalmist said...

If I could open any one place, it would be the old department store in my hometown, H.C. Prange. For several weeks up until Thanksgiving, the store windows were draped shut as they prepared the displays for the great unveiling on Thanksgiving Day. Our family made it a tradition to view the store windows after we ate our Thanksgiving feast. The windows were full of animation, new toy models, and dazzling Christmas decorations. I would stand in the cold with my nose pressed against the glass, gazing with excitement until my parents insisted it was time to go.
The Christmas window displays weren't the only childhood fascination; so was Santa's Secret Shop, including a visit with the "great man" himself. The door to the Secret Shop was half the height of a normal opening so only children could get in. Elves helped us secretly shop for our parents while they waited just outside the door. After making my purchases, my parents and I would make our way down the enchanted corridor, filled with overgrown candy canes and lollipops. It seemed like forever as anxious children stood in line to whisper year-long wishes in Santa's ear. Void of timidity, I couldn't wait to sit on his lap and have my turn, but in a matter of seconds, it was over. Little did I know the whole experience would be forever engraved in my memory.
As a parent, I always wanted to re-crrate this tradition for my children. Living thousands of miles away from even the possibility of a repeat performance, I looked for such a place to take my family on Thanksgiving. After living in Jacksonville only a year, I found out Kuhn Flower's on Beach Blvd. creates spectacular Christmas window displays each year and that's where you'll find me and my entire family after we have enjoyed our Thanksgiving feast. Maybe I'll see you there too!
(I recently found out all the elements from the old Christmas window displays at that old department store where safely tucked away. The county museum in my hometown has begun to set them back up each year in their building. What a treat for those who lived in that generation to reminisce!)

Garrett Larson said...

Emily, that sounds like fun. You'll be happy to know we are going there in February.

Thomas Brooke said...

well the place i would pick would be a bbq place we used to but it was shut down because of health regulations i think :-/ anyway my wish was granted when they opened woodys 2 bbq.

Lily Larson said...

mine is Jimmy's chicken, we would go there every week, it felt like every day, sadly they closed bcuz someone bot them out:(( the sign is still up and the building is still there, we go past it every day and i super miss it. when ever we went there, there was this little fake chef that had a small open mouth and i always said "he's so fat he's eating my finger" i hope someday they open again, in my part of heaven there will be a Jimmy's chicken, also i hated and still hate peas but the way they did there creamed peas was to die for, when ever we went there i could always remember our family was so happy, and laughing till our sides hurt.

Garrett Larson said...

Walter

I felt the same way when the Burger King over by my house was renovated, they basically trough my childhood away.