Sunday, January 8, 2012

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

It's Never Too Late!

Have you ever said that to someone?
To yourself?

What makes or breaks this statement is the strength and conviction behind it. It means I either believe in you more than you believe in yourself OR you believe in you more than anyone else.

Over a year ago, I had a very serious talk with the Lord about some pretty major issues going on around me and in my life. Instead of answering me directly, He subject jumped me. (That's when you ask a question and instead of an answer, the person changes the subject. I HATE THAT!) The Lord gave me a challenge instead of an answer. He said to my spirit, "I want you to take it up a notch." What a wide-open statement! I could apply it to whatever arena of my life I wanted to. I asked the Lord for more clarification and He said, "Do something you never said or thought you could do... something others said you could never do. I'm gonna teach you courage."

I began to toss that idea around in my mind and recall saying, "Ill never ride my own motorcycle." Then I remember my husband said that to someone in a conversation, "You'll never see Chrissy riding a motorcycle. I'm lucky to get her to ride on the back of mine." I knew what I needed to do but it wasn't going to happen easy.

I began to do some research and started talking around. I found out about a Confidence Building Class for women who wanted to learn to ride. It was a one hour class taught for free at The Roar in Daytona Beach, Florida. I grabbed my sister, who was ready to get her endorsement and together, we took the class.

Shortly after that, we both signed up for our motorcycle endorsement class and before you know it, I had "Motorcycle Also" stamped on my driver's license. I found a bike in Tampa, Florida that suited me and trailered it straight to The Roar for them to service, as well as have them make adjustments to custom fit it to match my vertical challenges.

The first test of my courage came the day The Roar called me to say my bike was ready for pick-up. I would have to drive it home from Daytona Beach. Gary charted a scenic route for my maiden journey and followed me in the car as I captained my ride back to Jacksonville. Was I scared? Yes. Did it take courage? Absolutely! But I accepted the Lord's challenge and took it up a notch. He showed me there was more to me than meets my own eyes and there is way more to Him than the eye can see.

There's not a ride that goes by where I don't sense God's power and strength. I feel Him in the wind and smell Him in the breeze. He fascinates me each time I go for a cruise and often times, I'm able to share my story with biker wanna-bes who have no idea the short distance between their wishes and what could be their realities.

Just so you know, I'm not done stepping it up. I have had the Lord speak to me very specifically about other challenges, some of which I have already taken Him up on. On a side note - Remember those serious questions I mentioned before? Even though He side-stepped me, somehow many of those questions were answered along the way. Go figure :)

What if Jesus told you to "step it up a notch?" What would that entail for you?

14 comments:

Craig Marlatt said...

That's quite a 'Notch' there girly. Good for you. You're certainly safe with 'The Gary' and 'The Lord' riding with you. I wonder what lies ahead for Chrissy? . . . hmm!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Hi Craig! Thanks for commenting. The fun part is God is game and waiting on me to do my part. I guess that's the way it's alway been. What's ahead? Believe me, I'm making plans right now! What about you?

Kathy said...

Thanx for sharing Chrissy. God's dealing with all of us to face our fears!!! Life is so much more fun when we do. Me even enjoying being on the back of a bike is a huge step:) You inspired me and I'm so glad that we stepped out and so is Tim:) Love you my friend, Kathy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Oh Kathy, I'm so glad you did too! I look forward to riding with you and Tim soon. We need to burn rubber and make some fun memories together!!!

Chrissy

Patrice said...

I have NO CLUE!!! However, this has me thinking and looking for those things that just might mean I'm "stepping it up".

Cyberpsalmist said...

Patrice,

Can I say, anyone who has survived cancer in ant way, shape or form, has "stepped it up" in my book!

Thomas Brooke said...

Well I have to say that I have been convicted that to workout and go after my dream of playing baseball professionally. the fact that here and now is my oppertunity. so that is me "taking it up a notch" Ps my going to Daytona is playing on a school team for the first time.

Emily Stutsman said...

Mrs. Chrissy I think this is one of the most challenging questions you have ever asked! I really had to think about what my answer might be. What I ended up coming up with is how I could really minister to people with what I have. To bless them with riding lessons to really give an outreach to people, that you normally would never step up and do for somebody!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Emily, I think that's a fantastic idea. Now the question of the week is, what will be your next step towards making this challenge a reality? God is always asking us to put Him to the test, so He can prove His power through us. It's time to get the ball rolling on this. You can practice your teaching skills on Lily. Bring your calendar to class!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Thomas, did you join a team? What position? I want to encourage you to GO FOR IT! If that's the case, I'm so proud of you. When pursuing a dream such as this, you need to talk to people or professionals who have gone before you and done what you want to do. That kind of a person can give you direction and point you forward. I have just the person who can help you. We need to talk.

Walter "THEWOLFMAN" Morris said...

In response to how i need to crank my life up into a higher gear so to speak, i think that lately the Lord has really been challenging me to think about what really matters in life, as opposed to the more superficial things which tend to attract my focus. To think about the important things in life, determine how success is defined for me and what i need to do to get there, and to really be inspired to leave the world a better place than i found it.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Dear Walter THE WOLFMAN Morris,

You have it! Can I follow you?

I wish you would be specific and tell me what new step you will take that gets you closer to what you call success. I want to know!

Garrett Larson said...

Well if I was to "turn it up a notch" or "stoke the fire," it would start with getting my own bike and pilot license or sky diving. How would I get started, first I got to talk it over with the big man, the man of the house, Dad. But until then ill have to do normal stuff like getting my drivers license.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Dear Garrett,

You are right about talking with the big man, Dad. He will help you achieve your goals by putting priority numbers in front of the licenses you listed. Although you can get a pilots license at age 17, it's cheaper to drive places. Let's have that talk soon.