Monday, November 18, 2013

THE WAY IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE

Thanksgiving 2008
It's getting closer. The anticipation is building. Soon, the smell of turkey roasting in the oven, along with dressing and pies, will fill millions of homes all over the United States.

As far back as I can remember, I woke up with these same distinctive aromas wafting past my nose, as well as the sound of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade coming from the family room TV. No one was necessarily watching it, but it was on all the same. Sleeping late meant no school, and if we were lucky, it would snow hard enough over the weekend to justify calling for a snow day, giving us a few extra days off.

One of my favorite things to do was look through the Sears Christmas Wish Book, circling items for  my gift list. This would not be complete without holiday music in the background. Dad had a reel-to reel tape deck in which he had recorded Christmas songs from the radio. These same tapes were played year after year and each time, the familiar renditions would add another layer of memories. If we begged Dad long enough, he might even get the decorations out of the garage. When the ornaments were unpacked, I would gaze at my favorites, as if I were looking at them for the very first time.

No matter how hard we planned, it seemed Tom Turkey made his golden debut around 2:00Pm. The table was set by my sisters and I, everything in its place. Often times, I was given the job of making place cards . . . home made, of course. As the family grew larger and larger, this task took longer and longer. On occasion, we had a special guest join us for dinner . . . someone who needed a home for the holiday.

Then came the long-awaited two words, "Dinner's ready!" Just when we thought it was time to eat, my parents would gather us in a circle and while holding hands, we would take a few minutes to go around, one at a time, telling what we were thankful for. Although my stomach was empty, my heart was full of the many blessings God gave us as a family. I was overflowing with gratitude.

But that wasn't all that overflowed. When the prayer was over, the abundance of blessings on the table overflowed my plate. Here is what my plate looked like: a few slices of Mom's perfect turkey next to her AMAZING giblet stuffing (a double portion at least,) then corn, green bean casserole, home made mashed potato's and gravy, along with two cranberry sauces and possibly a roll.

Since the days of my childhood, Thanksgiving traditions continue. When my oldest son married, the North finally met the South and we now have the addition of Sweet Potato Casserole, courtesy of my daughter-in-law, Angela.

All's well that ends well, especially when there's Apple, Chocolate Pecan, and Pumpkin Pie to pick from. (Don't forget the whipped Cream.)

After the last dish is washed, the women folk take their traditional walk in the neighborhood to ease the pain of overeating or maybe just get out of the kitchen. Yet, there is one last important ingredient left to mention.

When I was a child, we went as a family to view the Christmas window display at a popular department store in the town where I grew up. To carry on this tradition, we now go to Kuhn Flowers on Thanksgiving night, to see their widows. Although someone in my family always feels the need to express disapproval to this long standing ritual, they graciously appease me by honoring my request. (Come join us!)

As the years go by, family dynamics shift and change. Some go out of town to join their spouses family, while others may not be able to make it home. Yet our numbers are increasing due to the new grand babies we have been blessed with.

No matter who fills the chairs or what fills our plates, Thanksgiving traditions remain strong. On occasion, we may even try creative variations just for the sake of variety. But after it's all said and done, we are creatures of habit and prefer to do it the ways it's always been done.

Question of the Week? What elements of Thanksgiving do you refuse to change?

27 comments:

Evan Kennon said...

There are many things I would refuse to change about Thanksgiving, but the things I couldn't change are my friends and family that come and celebrate Thanksgiving with us. I also wouldn't change the delicious food that my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma cook for us. Jared, my Dad and I always go out hunting for Thanksgiving and we sometimes bring back a deer and we sometimes don't. These are the things I would have to refuse changing about Thanksgiving.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Evan,

Your Mom's reputation for culinary skills proceed her. You might have a hard time finding a wife who can cook like she does, so you better start praying for that now!

I don't quite get what's so thrilling about sitting silently in a tree stand for hours and hours, waiting for a deer to happen by. I guess it's a "guy" thing. Either way, I know you enjoy that time with your dad and brother.

Have a great Thanksgiving,
Chrissy

Unknown said...

What elements of Thanksgiving do I refuse to change? The things I refuse to change would be the fantastic feast prepared by my Grandmother, Mom and Aunt Phoebe that my family enjoys so much. I've had a passion for spicy food for a while and my cousin, Ty makes the best spicy delicacies ever! Every year it's something different. I would never change the fun, exciting, and spontaneous nights under my grandma's, Uncle Trouble and Aunt Phoebe's roofs. Also I would refuse to change my dad, my brother and my annual hunting expeditions through the woods where we hunt for deer. But if I had to narrow it down to the one thing that I would never change would be spending time with my family!

Samuel said...

The things I would not change is be my mom making her deviled eggs and stuffing/dressing.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Jared,

I loved your long list of things you refused to change! I would say you are a bit of a sentimentalist :)

And I'd have to agree with you in saying the most important element of Thanksgiving is family.

Have a fun-filled Thanksgiving!
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Samuel,

You have just named two of my favorite foods... stuffing and deviled eggs!!! (I always get two helpings of stuffing.)

Deviled eggs are not usually a part of our Thanksgiving feast. Since you mentioned it, I may have to bring them to serve as an appetizer.

Thanks for the idea and Happy Thanksgiving!
Chrissy

Unknown said...

My family and I always go to Georgia for Thanksgiving and hunt. Actually, I don't hunt, my siblings Kaitlin and Ryan go with my granddad. Then, around 4:00, we go to my aunts house and eat. My favorite part of the meal is the warm, creamy pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top! Then, we sit around and enjoy each others company.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Connor,

I agree about the Pumpkin Pie. Even though it's available all year long, there's nothing like a warm piece, along with whipped cream, to complete a Thanksgiving meal. At this meal however, saving room for dessert is not most people's practice. So, no matter how full our stomachs, we must indulge!

Have a great time with family in Georgia,
Chrissy

appleautumnjean said...

Almost every thanksgiving we go to the park and play a game of kick ball. At first I thought it was because the weather is usally nice but now I think it is to keep of the extra pounds. Whatever their reasoning is I don't care all that matters is that we play the game.

Glen drummond said...

some of the things i would never change about thanksgiving is going to to my grandmothers house with the family being there and then we would get so much to eat another thing i wouldn`t change is to having all of us gather around as a family

Unknown said...

Thanksgiving wouldnt be Thanksgiving without Mom, Dad, Graham, and Ashley enjoying the feast with me. Last year Ashley couldnt make it down to Florida from school, but we went to North Carolina and I had eight cousins to fill her place. Getting back to the feast, we always have to have a pumpkin pie. Every year we lived in Kansas my Grandmama made a pumpkin pie, but not too many people ate it. So, one year she didnt make it and everyone asked "Where's the pumpkin pie?" So, every Thanksgiving we have had a pumpkin pie. With Mom, Dad, Graham, and Ashley all sitting next to and across from me, we will have an amaing Thanksgiving.

Jenna said...

Like many things in my family, over the years our "traditions" at Thanksgiving have changed. Whether it be rice and spam at church, pizza at the pool, or my cousins farm raised turkey and geese at a beach house, the love, camaraderie and grateful attitudes of those I am with is something I hope never changes in my life.

Garrett Larson said...

The only thing I would change about thanksgiving is, the fact that I don't get my chocolate cream pie every year, I MEAN COME ON IT'S CHOCOLATE PIE!

Cyberpsalmist said...

Autumn,

Kickball sounds like a great way to burn off those extra calories. But more than that, it's a wonderful excuse to play, run, compete, bond, and laugh with one another.

I love your tradition and expect you'll do the same with your own family one day.

Have a very blessed Thanksgiving!
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Glen,

Just like the old song says... "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go..."

I'm guessing you might be traveling. What a wonderful tradition it must be for everyone to gather at Grandmother's house!

Don't eat too much,
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Abbey,

I'm so glad to hear that your family will all be together this year - that's very exciting.

I truly understand your anticipation, especially when your sister lives as far away as my daughter does. It's appreciated when they all come home.

Speaking of appreciation, it sounds like you all have a new appreciation for the Pumpkin Pie!

Lots of Thanksgiving hugs,
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Jenna,

It's funny how our surroundings change, even the meal might take on a different look, if the culture around us has an influence. I know your family has moved a bit, so I expect your menu has too. Rice and spam? That has to be Hawaii! (I miss Plate Lunch.)

You are right... family makes a holiday special, not the food or even the location. As long as we are together, that's all that matters :)

Grateful along with you,
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Garrett,

Is that a bit of whining I detect? Hmmm...

I usually try to make the French Silk Chocolate Pie for you, SINCE YOU ARE SUCH A BABY ABOUT IT!

I make it because I love you,
Chrissy

Lily Larson said...

I guess the one thing I would refuse to change would be the green bean casserole. For example, last year Cece put mushrooms in it and I wasn't a happy camper. this year, I'll be making it so it wont be changed.

Amelia Grayson said...

I absolutely love and would never change the time I get to spend with my family and all the traveling to visit them on Thanksgiving! We always travel up to Waycross to celebrate with my mom's side first and then later on we make the drive to Savannah to hang out with my dad's side of the famiky. One of my favorite things to do is make the deserts like pecan pie, banana pudding, and my triple chocolate cupcakes. At the end of the day, while we're still in Savannah, we all get together to play a big game of football (we're all really competitive :D). Then, we head home to stay for a while in Waycross with my granny! I could never change the memories that are made when we spend time together.

Briana said...

I always want to have variety at thanksgiving. Whether it's in what we eat or who we are with, I don't think a single Thanksgiving has been the same. I think the one thing we have always done on Thanksgiving is before dessert, we go around and say one thing we are thankful for that year.

Unknown said...

The one thing I wouldn't change about Thanksgiving is eating all the delicious food and celebrating it with all my family.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Lily,

There are some recipes that just shouldn't be messed with, like Green Bean Casserole and THE SAUCE! When you start changing what's already good, you really get into trouble.

My mouth is watering as I type and I'm already looking forward to the traditional version.

I can't wait
To fill my plate

How about you?
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Grayson,

Wow! Do you do all that traveling in one day? If so, I can see why you'd have room for two Thanksgiving dinners.

The football sounds like a lot of fun too. Especially if it's with family. A little competition is always good.

Try not to eat too much,
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Briana,

I love your attitude when it comes to tradition! In your case, it's traditional to have a different kind of Thanksgiving every year.

One year, my family camped. We had all the foods we normally eat, along with a few shortcuts. I cooked a turkey breast in the crock-pot while other campers were deep-frying theirs. We brought along a mini TV so we could watch the parade, as well as old Christmas movies at night. It was a memorable Thanksgiving.

Just like you, we always circle up before eating our meal and say something we are thankful for. This year, I have many and it'll be hard to mention just one.

Thankful along with you,
Chrissy

Cyberpsalmist said...

Preston,

You have chosen not to change the two most important elements about Thanksgiving... food and family.

The memories your parents are creating right now with you, are the very elements you will insist on including when you have a family of your own. It's what binds our hearts together and shapes who we are.

You are blessed to have such a beautiful extended family!

Cherish these memories,
Chrissy

Zach Appelo said...

Football!! If there werent thankgiving games on, it would be so differant!