Saturday, July 12, 2008

Do the Math

A few nights ago, my husband woke up around 3:00 Am for no apparent reason. He lay there awhile wondering what he should do next. I've been there myself and it feels as though someone's decided to set off an imaginary alarm clock in my head. I toss a bit, then turn, trying not to disturb anyone. After facing my sleepless denial, I am likely to get up and clean or even work on a project.

I asked my husband what he did during his awake time. He said his mind started going down a list all the near-misses in his life; the really stupid decisions he made as well as risks he had taken, imagining what should have happened. When we're young, consequences don't seem as up-close and personal as they are when maturity knocks on our door. He could not understand his survival rate in comparison to the situations that nearly took his life, nor the reason for the grace that came his way. After reviewing his extensive list, he said he fell peacefully asleep.

I've heard drinking warm milk or cocoa helps insomnia, but then so does a dose of NyQuil PM. One of my favorite movies, "White Christmas," has a scene in which Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney discover they both have trouble sleeping. Bing suggests a glass of buttermilk along with a liverwurst sandwich. That sounds to me like trouble, not a treatment. Then they segue into what I consider to be one of the most beautiful songs in the movie. The lyrics go like this:
Count You Blessings
Irving Berlin
(from the 1954 movie "White Christmas")

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
If you think of all the times you were spared, about every close call, and each near-miss, you'll agree, you shouldn't be reading this blog. But God has decided your divine purpose is greater than what you've survived by the skin of your teeth. Psalm 89:13 says, "You (Lord) have a mighty arm; Strong is Your hand, and high is Your right hand."

When you count your blessings and do the math; you'll realize you are exponentially blessed!

3 comments:

Miss Suzy said...

I adore psalm 89. One could do a month long study on it and still not have it all.

Well said, again. Thanks.

Cyberpsalmist said...

I agree... so much on mercy. The next verse is so powerful. I love to try and visualize the reality of this. It's amazing.

Anonymous said...

I love that song, and it contains excellent advice. Now I'll be humming it all day!