Monday, August 4, 2008

Question of the Week






What happened on the best day of your summer vacation?






On the best day of my summer vacation, I woke up and there were no kids in my house.

My oldest son has been married over three years now but sometimes when I go into his old room, I still imagine he is in there (sleeping). I used to sit down on his bed and annoy him by slurping coffee in his ear until he woke up.

My first daughter is now at IHOP Kansas City for an internship but her room is still high voltage. Even though she is not around to order my day and eat sushi with me, her sister, who still occupies the room, is. The evidence is unfolding as to who was the cause of the continuous mess in the room.

Both girls have vacated the premises... one in KC, the other is at camp for one solid week.

That leaves the youngest son home (although I tried my best to talk him into going to camp, knowing secretly, I’d have one week to myself. But no chance. He was looking for some solitude as well but never admitted it.

Until -- the phone call came! He was invited to spend a couple of nights at a friends and I was looking at getting a little over 48 hours to myself. I cheerfully released him to his friends house and as I was walking up my front steps, let out a “yea-high” that I’m sure my neighbors heard.

So you might wonder what I did with my 48 hrs? I meticulously scrubbed the guest bathroom. Not even the ants liked the bleachy smell. It sparkled so much that I needed sunglasses. After I was through, I walked past it on purpose, just to get extra glimpses of my hard efforts.

Shortly after that, I began packing my bags for a well-earned trip to Savannah, which included a self-guided walking tour of the river front and some historical stops as well as a reservation at “Lady & Sons” restaurant with new friends that God has recently put in my life.

The fellowship was fantastic, the food was fabulous, the walking was wonderful, and the shopping was just too short.

When I returned home, the first thing I wanted to do was see my kids (hubby too.) It's true, I missed them the whole time. But I sure did have some guilt-free fun while they were gone!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... It would be hard to sum up one BEST day of summer vacation since all summer is wonderful. However, I do remember one recent day in particular. Saturday, august 2nd, you were there. It was kevins birthday! It started early in The morning. I had to get him out of the house so his mom and sister could prepare for his surprise bday party. We went to a homey local restaraubt for breakgast called the cool moose cafe on park street. Free wards we went to the main street library and chambljbs book mine. Then I drove us back to his house with him blind folded to start the real fun!! We swam all day and played volleyball and ate hot dogs. :)

Cyberpsalmist said...

Yes, that was a great party. I think Kevin looked good in that multi-colored silly string. You really throw a good party -- everything from the food to the swimming and volleyball tournament; it was great. I know Kevin will never forget his 20th!

Anonymous said...

The Best thing I did this summer? Thats kind of hard considering I didn't do much all summer! I wasn't really able to do very much since my mom was working full time..so mainly I just laid back and did nothing..enjoying every minute of no school! We went to the beach several times, and that was defiantly fun!! But since the question is whats the best day of summer..I guess it would have to be my birthday :P July 30th I turned 15. I spent the morning with my grandma at the Town Center, and then went to Paneras for lunch. The rest of the day I just chilled at home on the computer and out in my backyard. It was a pretty relaxing day!

Cyberpsalmist said...

I'm with you Alyssa, doing absolutely nothing can be fun, if it's what you like to do. Life is so full that the thought of relaxing seems foreign sometimes.

Anonymous said...

well now that is a hard one considering our summer vacation was pretty fun :D. But i guess i would have to say the best day of my summer vacation was when we went to my favorite mini golf place and i totally creamed my dad and my friend :P. got the best score in my life there and we actually went to two mini golf places. after that we went to ci ci's pizza :P, also the resort we stayed at was awesome! :D :P.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Sounds like fun!