Tuesday, January 17, 2012

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Playing Your Hand
(This "Question of the Week' is written by Walter Morris, a 12th Grade student in my Movies As Literature class.)

Every day people die knowing full well that they will never be rich, or famous, or happy. It is a sad fact, yes, but a fact none the less, and a fact that one should not disregard. For it is our success that defines us as human beings, no? It’s kind of a cruel game. We are given this gift, this wonderful and terrible gift, and we are expected to make the most out of it in some way or another. And if not, then we have failed. Sometimes I catch my mind wandering about the people who make the most menial things I use. For example, buttons. All they do is hold clothes together, and sometimes not even very well. There are alternatives to buttons, surely. And even some that may be more effective and advantageous. So what about the person who makes these buttons? What is their impact on the world? - to hold sweaters together. And I will never know the name of the person who made the buttons on my sweater, and he or she shall never know me. And we will continue on in our lives to think very little about each other, and then we will die. Se la vie.

It is important to ask oneself, periodically, whether it is possible to ‘fail’ at life - to not achieve success. Given the sheer number of people the Earth moves in and out each day, I’m sure there has to be at least one who never accomplished their goals. At least one who reached for the stars, but never touched them. And of course there is the other end of the spectrum. People like Martin Luther King Jr., and Albert Einstein, and Mozart and Bach and Voltaire and Mahatma Gandhi. They are more famous and wealthy than this poor button-maker, but are they just as integral a part in the advancement of civilization? Surely someone made MLK Jr.’s buttons. But when one does not amount to much in contrast with these truly great people, does this define failure? Does this mean that all the hard work and effort John Doe put into school, and work, and relationships, and friends, has it all been in vain? Or is failure merely a human invention designed to motivate the human race to progress and thrive out of fear? Is success possible? Is failure? And most importantly, can one win a game that one never had a choice to play?

We are thrust into this world with very little. Feeble and young, we rely on our parents to help us survive. And slowly but surely, we learn. We learn about colors and shapes, and colors and shapes turns into letters, and then reading, followed by simple math, and more complex math, and social studies and geography, and religion. All the while establishing a foundation for ourselves in the way of a moral compass, and a conscience, and our personality. But the question remains: is one human more valuable than the next? We try to tell ourselves over and over that all humans are equal and valuable in their own rights, but we don’t buy it. Faced with a burning building, a bum and a lawyer trapped inside, it is obvious which one you would choose. And faced with a life of humble hard work only to earn barely enough to pay the bills, and a life of fame and fortune and glamour, the answer is obvious as well. But I remain determined yet to forge on through the incandescent flames of opportunity, naive and bullheaded. For the only constant in life is that one must play the hand he is dealt.

Classmates, in no less than 5 sentences explain to me what defines your personal success, how you plan to achieve it, and how you would feel if you fell short."

6 comments:

Patrice said...

Hi, Walter.

I had to really think about this one. My greatest goal in life has already been achieved...

All I ever wanted to be, and be reasonably good at, was to be a wife and mother. My husband and I are looking toward 35 years of marriage. :) and have two God-seeking grown children married to God-seeking spouses. The real success is that they are teaching their families about God, His Son, Jesus, and seeking Him daily.
This was my success goal since I was 7 years old. If I had failed, I would not have the peace I have now and would most likely still be striving for it.

My dilemma, if indeed there is one, is when your success goal has been fulfilled, what do you do with yourself next? I have been asking myself that question for about two years now. I do not have any answers yet. However, the only failure I can suffer is to know I have a path to take and I do not take it.

Thank you for stirring up my thought processes.

Patrice

Thomas Brooke said...

well... walter I would have to say that the only true success i have ever had is giving glory to god and I have deffenetly fallen short there countless times. where have i fallen short well i know that we all have fallen short meny times and there are probably to meny place to list here. Great question it really made me think about what i was going to say.

Cyberpsalmist said...

Walter, I agree with Patrice and say that raising my children to follow hard after God is what I would call success. I have been a mother for 28 years so far and can say that it has been the most challenging job I have ever taken on. You hold them in your arms when they are infants and ask God to help you parent them well, knowing the possibility of messing up is huge. Thankfully, I had a wonderful up-bringing but can also say I made plenty of bad choices along the way. Mix that with your spouses up-bringing , as well as his bad choices, shake it all up and pray for wisdom from the Holy Spirit.

But what I feel has been my key to success so far has been not to pattern them after MY life, but after the Lord's. My life is an open book so they are STILL learning from my mistakes! I have no pride as a parent, knowing I didn't always have the right answer, but they see me apologize as well as seek after Him for wisdom to do a good job.

I want to see these traits multiplied in them and then they in turn, will achieve the same personal success as I have in raising them to run hard after God. So far, so good, but I have not yet crossed the finish line :)

Garrett Larson said...

Well, I always had dreams about what I should do in my life, but the one dream that I remember the most is working with my dad at his rug cleaning shop. I always thought that was the coolest job ever and I still do, but a new dream was born. Again, to follow in my families foot steps, to be a air plane pilot, that dream is soon to be fulfilled. Working at Larson Rug Cleaning is a fun job but it's there to keep me on my feet. Until I get my commercial pilot license, that's living the dream for now.

Walter Morris said...

Hello All,

I would like to comment back in one single post. I have addressed each of your comments below:

Dear Patrice and Mrs. Larson,

I can definitely tell you that as a child and armchair parenting analyst, there is nothing more comforting and assuring to know that your mother has only your best intentions, and I can not describe how joyfully glad and proud I am of both of you, for having so much love and kindness in your hearts. The both of you, and mothers everywhere, are truly the salt of the earth, and it makes me feel at ease to know that I share the planet with people such as you. So thank you. And Patrice, I must say that I feel as if I know a fraction of what you feel. Sometimes the biggest challenge in life comes with learning to live at the summit, and learning to be grateful of just how much we have.

Dear Thomas,

I know exactly how you feel. I have been to the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in context of my relationship to my Saviour, and I want to tell you how proud and envious of your rightful-minded conviction at such a young age. Surely I think, as long as you keep God above all else, you will achieve great success. For He is truly the foundation on which we build meaningful lives.

Dear Garrett,

I know exactly how you feel as well. I too have navigated the great blue expanse, a single propeller driving me through thin air, and I will never be able to describe how I felt. But it is a very long and expensive road, as is everything to some extent, so I convict you to never lose track of your motivation, and I commend you on seeking to provide the incredible humanitarian service of opening the world, and helping the human race to experience and bond with the rest of God's truly amazing creation. So good on you, kid.

To all:

I want to thank you all very deeply for reading my ramblings, and making me feel so at ease by letting me know I made you think, even for a second. So thank you.

Emily Stutsman said...

Well the success i have fallen short of and makes me really want to strive harder for is my roping ability! I always try harder and harder with each practice and some ropings i feel i have fallen short of doing my best. I always feel like i can do better. So i strive to do more and do better! I always feel like i let myself down when i do not give it my all!